A customer asked me how much it cost to DJ their event....
I answered him: $ 1500
He said: “So expensive for this job?”
I asked: How much do you think it would cost you?
He answers me: “$ 800 maximum... That's a pretty simple job right?!"
- For $ 800 I invite you to do it yourself.
- “But.... I don't know how to.”
- For $800 I'll teach you how to. So besides saving you $700, you'll get the knowledge for the next time you want
- It seemed right to him and he agreed.
- But to get started you need tools: Music library, computer, turntables, a mixer, speakers, wires, etc...
- “But I don't have all these equipment and I can't buy all of these for one job.”
- Well then for another $300 more I'll rent my stuff to you so you can do it.
- “Okay,” he says.
- Okay! Tuesday I'm waiting for you to start doing this work
- “But I can't on Tuesday I only have time today.”
- I'm sorry, but I'm only available Tuesday to teach you and lend you my stuff. Other days are busy with other customers events.
- “Okay! That means I'm going to have to sacrifice my Tuesday, give up my tasks.”
- I forgot, to do your job yourself, you also have to pay for the nonproductive factors.
- “That is? What is that?"
- Bureaucratic, record pool fees, tax, security, insurance, fuel etc.
- “Oh no!... But to accomplish these tasks, I'm going to spend more money and waste a lot of time!”
- “Do you have them? You can do it for me?"
- I'll provide you all the gear and production you need. Truck loading is done Monday evening or Tuesday morning you'll have to come by 6am to load the truck. Don't forget to be on time to avoid traffic
- “At 6am??? Nope! Too early for me! I used to getting up later
- “You know, I've been thinking. Y’all better get the job done. I'd rather pay you the $1500. If I had to do it myself it wouldn't be perfect and it would cost me a lot more.”
When you pay for a job, especially handcrafted skills, you pay not only for the equipment used, but also:
- Safety and security
- Payment of tax obligations
No one can denigrate other people's work by judging prices.
Only by knowing all the elements necessary for the production of a certain work can you estimate the actual cost.
I did not write this dialogue, but am sharing it to support my fellow entertainers and entrepreneurs.