Renton Then and Now

Renton Then and Now Then and now photos, media, and history about Renton, Washington. Please follow, like, comment, and share my content with anyone that might have an interest!

Also see my Instagram and Flickr accounts (links below).

This 1937 "then" photo shows U.S. Junk Company at 319 Main Ave. The business was started in 1926 by Moses Jones (M.J.) M...
08/06/2026

This 1937 "then" photo shows U.S. Junk Company at 319 Main Ave. The business was started in 1926 by Moses Jones (M.J.) McLendon, his father-in-law George Emery, and wife Helen Emery McLendon. It was a second hand store with M.J. and George buying used tools and household items, then cleaning, fixing, and reselling them. Helen ran the books. In 1934, M.J. partnered with hardware store owner Carl Dale and began selling hardware. By 1947, Dale and McLendon Hardware was operating from a brick building nearby on Wells Ave. M.J. and Helen's oldest kids began working in the store and M.J. became known as "Pop" McLendon and Helen as "Mom" McLendon. All 6 of their children and numerous grandchildren would eventually work in the family business.

In 1960, Pop bought out Dale's ownership interest and it became McLendon Hardware. The store became known for having a huge inventory of items and working hard to make sure every customer found what they needed. The business grew quickly and moved into successively larger buildings in downtown Renton, eventually expanding to open 6 additional stores throughout the Puget Sound. In 2017, it was sold to a large retail corporation and continues to operate as McLendon Hardware.

The original U.S. Junk building was demolished and replaced in 1955 with the masonry building we see today. In the 1956 photo, it housed a T.V. sales and repair business, laundromat, and cleaners. Today, it's occupied by APT Health & Fitness.

Photos courtesy of Puget Sound Regional Archives, Renton Historical Society, and McLendon in-store photos (colorized)
References: Renton From Coal to Jets by Morda Slauson; McLendon website

The 2004 "then" photo shows Fry's Electronics at 800 Garden Ave N. It opened on August 28, 2003 as the first Fry's in Wa...
08/03/2026

The 2004 "then" photo shows Fry's Electronics at 800 Garden Ave N. It opened on August 28, 2003 as the first Fry's in Washington State. The opening was highly anticipated among tech savvy consumers and California transplants that were familiar with their stores. The Renton store opened just as the economy started to rebound after the dot-com collapse. Competitors like Egghead, Computerland, Incredible Universe, and Future Shop were all gone, and there was a need for a consumer electronics store in the Seattle area. Fry's was successful at this location for many years, but as competition from online shopping took over the industry, it permanently closed in 2021. The building was purchased in 2024, and after extensive remodeling it opened as WinCo Foods on August 3, 2026.

The 1971 "then" photo shows Wigwam in the Renton Highlands at 2809 NE Sunset Blvd. The Highlands Reservoir Water Tower i...
08/02/2026

The 1971 "then" photo shows Wigwam in the Renton Highlands at 2809 NE Sunset Blvd. The Highlands Reservoir Water Tower is visible in the background. Wigwam was a discount department store chain founded in 1946 by Homer Powell in Seattle. This location was built in 1971 by Alec Bakamus. The Bakamus family was a partner in building the nearby Hillcrest Bowl (now Grocery Outlet) in 1959. Wigwam was part of a larger strip mall built in phases, and the space to the right was built later that year as Discount Fabrics. Today, the Wigwam space is the vacant JoAnn Fabrics store, and Discount Fabrics is now Dollar Tree. Next door to Dollar Tree is Vince's Italian Restaurant, which has been at this location for more than 50 years.

Trivia: For over 80 years JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts was America's fabric store. They once had 850 stores nationwide and held 1/3 of the sewing market. They closed all 21 of their Washington stores, including this Renton Highlands store, in May 2025.

Photos courtesy of Puget Sound Regional Archives, colorized.

The circa 1904 "then" photo shows Wood's General Store at the SE corner where 3rd St, Main Ave, and Houser Way intersect...
07/30/2026

The circa 1904 "then" photo shows Wood's General Store at the SE corner where 3rd St, Main Ave, and Houser Way intersect. It was operated by Robert Wood and later by his son, William Wood. Robert and his wife had settled in Renton in 1878 from Texas. They had 10 children, all of which helped at the business at various times. It was a large store stocked with food, clothing, hardware, and appliances. It also traveled by wagon to the various mining and lumber camps from Newcastle to Black Diamond, taking orders and delivering goods. The building burned down but was rebuilt in 1914. The new Wood Building had a brick exterior and was triangular shaped. In the 1930s it was owned by Susan Wood Harris, one of Robert's children. The building housed various businesses in the 1960s including Gloria's Beauty School, Varner Realty, U.S. Army recruiting, and an eye clinic. The 1976 photo shows the building from the NW corner of the intersection. It was demolished and replaced in 1979 with the 3 story office building we see today.

Fun Fact: The property lines here are complicated by a railroad spur for the Columbia and Puget Sound Railroad. The spur was located behind the building, as shown in the 1904 Sanborn Map and 1932 picture.

Photos courtesy of Renton Historical Society and Puget Sound Regional Archives, colorized.

The 1940 "then" image shows a group of women marching in a Renton parade at the corner of 3rd and Wells. They are likely...
07/26/2026

The 1940 "then" image shows a group of women marching in a Renton parade at the corner of 3rd and Wells. They are likely members of the VFW Women's Auxiliary. On the right is the Western Hotel building, built in 1910 by Charles and Mary Temme, and operators of the hotel. Other businesses are Vioue's Pharmacy, Thornton's Store, and Western Auto Supply. On the left side is Tonkin's Cafe, owned by Frank Tonkin, whose restaurant enterprises became Taco Time NW. In the "now" photo, the Hazen High School marching band directed by Christopher Coy crosses this intersection at the Renton River Days parade.

Trivia: Before 1986, the city's summer parade had different names and would celebrate different themes and occasions. In the early years the parade took place on Fourth of July to celebrate the country's independence. In 1935 the parade was celebrated during Coal Week, commemorating Renton's first industry. As time went on, parades would take place on Longacres Day, and from the 1950s to 1984 during Renton Western Days. In 1985, the summer festival was called Renton Western Aire Faire Days, and finally Renton River Days, now in its 40th year.

Photo courtesy of Renton Historical Society, colorized

Renton River Days turns 40 years old this year and the River Days Parade traditionally kicks off a weekend of events. Th...
07/26/2026

Renton River Days turns 40 years old this year and the River Days Parade traditionally kicks off a weekend of events. This 1990 "then" photo shows members of Renton Historical Society in the 4th edition of the parade at the intersection of 3rd St and Shattuck Ave. Behind them on the left is the 2 story restaurant that was once Schooner's Galley and Gene's Ristorante. On the right is Faull Funeral Home which was originally the home of early pioneers Harold and Nannie Evans. The Society members are dressed in pioneer clothing and the women carry buckets to symbolize the November 1899 Fire where the women of Renton formed a bucket brigade and saved the town from burning. Carrie Bergquist holds a sign in front of the group. In the "now" photo, Renton Fire Department's restored 1927 Howard Cooper fire truck carries members of the Bergquist family as the lead vehicle in the parade. Carrie is currently president of Renton Historical Society and Genealogy Center.

Fun Facts: In 1899 the town's population was about 400. Fire broke out when most of the men were in Seattle attending a Renton Cooperative Coal Miners meeting. Jim Anderson, chief engineer of Pacific Coast Coal Company, brought a train from Newcastle and called on the women to form a bucket brigade. They took buckets and blankets from Tonkin's Store, and passed water buckets from the train's water tender to the fire. A block of houses were lost but the rest of the town was saved. Renton's first volunteer fire department was formed shortly thereafter.

Photo courtesy of Renton Historical Society
Reference Renton From Coal to Jets, by Morda C. Slauson, p. 87

This 1969 photo shows the view looking north from the corner of Grady Way and Rainier Ave. Directly in front is a brand ...
07/22/2026

This 1969 photo shows the view looking north from the corner of Grady Way and Rainier Ave. Directly in front is a brand new Robinson & Lyon Ford dealership that opened that year. The owners were Larry Robinson and Jim Lyon (ca 1970 ad). The company lasted less than 5 years and the facility was vacant in 1973. Around 1974 it became Sound Ford owned by Fred Knack and James Bohannon. Sound Ford remained here until 2000-01 when they relocated their operations to the SW corner of this intersection. The land was sold to the City of Renton in 2011 and the vacant buildings remained until 2022 when they were finally demolished. In February 2026, Sound Transit began construction of a new "Stride" bus rapid transit (BRT) station on the site, which is located next to Metro's existing South Renton Transit Center. The Stride S1 line is designed to travel between Burien and Bellevue every 10-15 minutes, 17+ hours a day, using double-decker battery-electric buses.

Trivia: Notice the railroad crossing in the 1969 photo. Those were Burlington Northern tracks that ran parallel to Grady Way until it turned north onto Burnett Ave and into downtown. The tracks were removed in the early 1970s but some of its alignment was preserved and became Burnett Linear Park.

1969 and 1970 photos are courtesy of Renton Historical Society, colorized.

The 1963 "then" photo shows Milwaukee Road Substation No. 27 located at 450 Shattuck Ave S. It was built in 1920 as one ...
07/20/2026

The 1963 "then" photo shows Milwaukee Road Substation No. 27 located at 450 Shattuck Ave S. It was built in 1920 as one of 27 substations in the electrification system for "The Milwaukee Road" (Chicago, Milwaukee, St Paul and Pacific Railroad). Electrified train operations ended around 1972. In 1978 the building was converted into offices and AAA Travel was a tenant. Building additions and seismic improvements were completed in 2007 and 2015. Today, the brick exterior is well preserved and the inscription "Substation No. 27" is still visible on the south wall. The building has been occupied by ATS Automation for more than 18 years.

The Milwaukee Road, with terminals in Tacoma and Seattle (Union Station), traveled over the Cascades and Rocky Mountains on its way to the Midwest. Cold temperatures, steep grades, and long tunnels made steam locomotives slow, difficult, and expensive to operate over the passes. The railroad's bold electrification system used hydroelectricity and powerful electric locomotives for 216 miles through the Cascades (Seattle/Tacoma to Othello) and 440 miles through the Rockies (Avery, ID to Harlowton, MT). 100,000 volt AC power was transmitted to each substation, where it was stepped down to 2,300 volt AC in the transformer room (1915 photo). This was used to power large DC motor generators that produced 3,000 volt DC for the trains (1918 photo). The locomotives received electricity from overhead wires (1970 photo).

Photos courtesy of Puget Sound Regional Archives and Renton Historical Society, colorized.

This 1961 photo shows Danny's Signal Service Station at 353 Sunset Blvd N. The building was built that year and has 2 se...
07/17/2026

This 1961 photo shows Danny's Signal Service Station at 353 Sunset Blvd N. The building was built that year and has 2 service bays and 3 pumps. The neighboring businesses to the left are Banker's Auto Rebuild and Earl's Refrigeration & Appliance. The gas station became Oleson's Enco Service Station in the late 1960s. In the early 1980s it was Sunset Auto Service & Car Wash. In the late 80s and early 90s it was a used car sales business, F M Auto Sales and then Sunset Cars. Today, it's Enterprise Car Rental, which has been here since at least 2008.

Trivia: Banker's Auto Rebuild started business in Renton in 1958. They've been located at 405 S 7th St since around 1985.

Photo courtesy of Puget Sound Regional Archives, colorized.

This 1972 "then" photo shows Herfy's at the corner of Sunset Blvd N and Bronson Way N (151 Sunset Blvd N) shortly after ...
07/15/2026

This 1972 "then" photo shows Herfy's at the corner of Sunset Blvd N and Bronson Way N (151 Sunset Blvd N) shortly after it was built in 1971. A very tall sign stands near the street that was visible from I-405. Herfy's was here until it closed in the late 1980s. It's possible that competition from the nearby Burger King, built in 1986, affected its business. The building was Stir Restaurant from at least 2008 up to around 2017. It was then Zhen Kee restaurant from 2018 to around 2020 (the large sign was shorted when they moved in). The building then sat vacant for several years but was fully renovated and reopened today (7/14/26) as Woods Coffee.

Fun facts: Herfy's was a Pacific Northwest chain of burger fast food restaurants that started in Everett in 1962 by Leon Gardner. Their logo was a large steer head with a blank expression.

Address

Renton, WA

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Renton Then and Now posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Shortcuts

Share