✔️1kg. whole chicken (you can also use choice cut)
✔️2 cups pineapple juice
✔️4 tbsp. soy sauce
✔️1 tsp ground black pepper
✔️2 pieces bay leaf
✔️oil for searing
✔️2 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
✔️1 tbsp. oyster sauce
✔️1 can (227g) pineapple slices (or pineapple chunks)
✔️1 medium onion (minced)
✔️5 cloves garlic (minced)
✔️salt to taste
1. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce and black pepper. Mix well. Pour over the chicken. Add bay leaf. Marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. After marinating, drain from the marinade. Then sear all sides of the chicken until brown. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in pan and sear the chicken. Turn to cook each side. After browning, set aside.
3. In the same pan, saute' onion and garlic. then put back the chicken. Add the reserved marinade. Add oyster sauce and brown sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes in low heat.
4. After 15 minutes, turn the chicken to cook the other side. Simmer for another 10 minutes low heat.
5. After 10 minutes, add the pineapple slices and its juice. Then start basting the chicken (scoop some sauce and pour over the chicken as you cook). Cook the chicken until the sauce thickens (medium heat).
6. Once the sauce is reduced, add salt to taste. Simmer for a minute then remove from heat.