We’re excited to share this awesome personal project by one of our super talented and newest team members, Jess Libby!
Inspired by breakdancing, Jess created this looping frame-by-frame animation. Upon taking some amazing online classes about cell animation and illustration, making an animated logo for Spillt was a perfect opportunity to put that knowledge into practice. This process was a reminder that perseverance and grit are essential when stretching beyond the comfort zone.
Below is a brief synopsis of Jess’ takeaways and classes she would recommend for learning similar techniques.
- Use any software necessary to get the job done (Procreate, Photoshop, Animate & After Effects were all used here)
- Always use reference
- Start with basic gesture drawings, add forms then refine
- Don’t neglect camera movement
- Excited to try clean-up in After Effects next time
- Classical Animation Workflow & Techniques by Henrique Barone (Mograph Mentor)
- Frame-by-Frame Ninja by Elias Velho (Motion Design School)
- 2D Frame by Frame Animation by Seoro Oh (Coloso)